Whether it’s those gorgeous thick brows or her quirky personality, Cara Delevingne can do no wrong. Here the model of the moment is pulling off one of the hardest looks to get right- the Smokey Eye. We’ve all given it a go, but sometimes we end up looking more like you’ve been in a fight than to a party! We want smouldering, not like we’ve done 8 rounds with Tyson! So here we show you how to get Cara’s smouldering look in 8 quick and simple steps; and… you only need 5 products!
What You’ll Need
- Makeup Brushes – check out our guide to understanding makeup brushes
- Black and White Eyeshadow
- Bronze Eyeshadow
- Black Eyeliner
- Nude or White Eyeliner
- Black Mascara
What I used – Too Face Boudoir Eyes Palette (£29) MAC Eyeshadow In Antiqued (£13) Rimmel London Scandaleyes Waterproof Kohl Liner (£3.99) Shu Uemura Lip Pencil In Nude Beige (£16) Seventeen Falsify Mascara (£6.99)
Total Price £68.98
On a budget? What I recommend – Rimmel London HD 5 Pan Eyeshadow (£6.99) Rimmel Sunshimmer 3 In 1 Bronzer – Gold Princess (£5,99) Rimmel London Scandaleyes Waterproof Kohl Liner (£3.99) Seventeed Falsify Mascara (£6.99)
Total Price £28.95
2. With the same brush, gently apply your black eyeshadow across your lid, right up to your eye socket. Tip: Pressing, instead of gliding the eyeshadow onto your eyelid gives a heavier coverage and more dramatic effect, which is essential for this look.
3. Take a gelding brush and gently buff the free edge to soften the line
4. Using a vey small amount of bronze, blend along the line you have just buffed. This will add warmth and depth to the look, giving the illusion of a deeper socket. Tip: Take your time and press very lightly when blending your eyeshadow. If you press too hard, you’ll smudge the colour too much and the colour won’t be as intense.
5. Taking a small angled brush and your black eyeshadow. Line your lower lash line, bringing the colour to the outer corner of the eye, joining the lour on your lid. You want this line to be quite bold and defined so don’t over blend.
6. Now you need to go over the line you have drawn using your eye pencil. This will really define the line and keep the colour bold. You also need to line your upper lash line, filling in any crevices that you may have missed with the black eyeshadow.
7. Add mascara to your eyelashes. Get those lashes thick and bold!! This look is all about the drama so go big or go home!
8. Complete the look by adding cream/white eye liner to you waterline (the wet line of skin between your eye and your lashes). Be very gentle and cautious when doing this, you don’t want to cause an aggravation or irritation to your eye. Warning: If it feels uncomfortable at any stage, stop applying immediately.
There you have it – 8 steps on how you can get Cara Delevingne dramatic smokey eye look. Applying such a bold smokey eye is great for night-time wear. I would recommend keeping the rest of your makeup as natural as possible. Go light on the bright lipsticks and blush. Instead go for a nude lip or soft pink. If you want to cross over to the dark side, then a dark colour lipstick can give you that grudge look you so desire. Why not check out the ombre lip shade achieved in the Kylie Jenner’s Lip tutorial, this would match perfectly.
Do you have a favourite celebrity look that you’re dying to try out? Post your suggestions in the comment box below, and make sure you send us your smokey eye looks!